Sunday, April 11, 2010

How to make a long story longer

I really hate to see things go to waste (or waist either!). I always overcook (leftovers are great for lunch). Extra rice makes great soup and ever better Congee.


When we traveled to Asia in 1998 with the two kids we ate every morning on the economy...that is military-brat speak for cheap...with the locals. So we have numerous versions of Congee, or rice-porrage. All were wonderful, all were filling and all were cheap. I have been playing with our-own version for years, and like those wonderful days in Laos and Vietnam and Hong Kong, all seem to be different.


All that being said, several days ago I fixed coconut rice to accompany a terriyaki pork loin for dinner. Naturally I made up the recipe for the rice...you do remember that I have A LOT of coconut? Rummaging through the outside pantry, I also discovered that I have a lot of Coconut Creme! Like the Sesame Oil that I continued to buy every time I went into an Asian market, I apparently have done the same with Coconut Creme. Spank me!

I read recently, though of course I cannot remember where, that you should never buy Coconut Creme, but use Coconut Milk and do not shake it. The Creme will rise to the top, you scoop it off and use the milk for something else.

So, back to the rice.

I went to the pantry and collected a "medley" of rices...some Arborio, some White Bastmanti, some short grain, some long. Enough to equal roughly 2 cups. I put them into a strainer and rinsed them very well. Then into the rice-cooker, along with a nice scoop of "Better than Bouillon" Chicken stock and a can of Coconut Creme and another can of water, oh, and some brown rice I found in the fridge. I added about 1/4 cup of coconut, just because I have it! Closed the lid and let the rice cook. A rice cooker is one of the necessities for a well-stocked kitchen. It does not have to be an expensive model (though I will someday have a Zojirushi), mine is the second I have owned, the first being a cheapie from Fry's and this one being an Aroma, which works, nothing special. But no more burnt pots, boiled-over mess on the stove. I simply love it!

The loin roast is one of those things I like to have in the freezer for when I need food but do not really want to "cook". Nuff said.

So, moving on...

Coconut Congee

In a large pot

Add left over rice, I would guess I had about 1 1/2 cups.

Fill pot half way with water. Add another scoop of broth, use canned or boxed broth or check your freezer for home-made. It makes no difference if you use chicken or vegetable, whatever floats your boat.

I have loads of Asian stuff; fried garlic, fried scallions, that I throw in for taste. I dice 4-5 green onions, maybe some yellow onion (1/4 of med.)

Add two large tablespoons of Miso, 1 heaping tablespoon of ginger-garlic paste, some Bragg's liquid Aminos. Adjust the seasonings as you wish. Sometimes I add something spicy while the Congee is cooking, usually I add that at the end, when I am serving it.

Because I had a bunch of spinach, I added that. Probably 3-4 cups. It really cooks down. Feel free to substitute Chard or Kale or leave it out. I added a can of sliced mushrooms.

Simmer until the rice falls apart. Adjust liquid as necessary.

They joy of this is you can use whatever you like, there are no hard and fast rules. You can make it thin or thick. My husbands Congee has been lovingly dubbed "Congoo" because his tends to be really thick.

Traditional serving would include a scrambled egg, lightly cooked like an omelet and sliced, some chopped green onion, some sesame seeds and a dribble of sesame oil, some leftover meat, maybe a splash of "Chili Sauce" or "Chicken Sauce". Whatever suits your fancy.


Again, if you have any left-over, it will thicken up. Simply dilute it with broth or water and reheat.

2 comments:

  1. How I missed this earlier I don't know but I have to make this. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that sounds fantastic....I want to get myself a rice cooker....

    ReplyDelete